The Tarnished Shooter

The Tarnished Shooter - Charles James The book was an impulse buy. I thought the cover looked quite interesting and I do like a good story with a lot of action. I was utterly surprised to find myself glued the pages and unable to put the book down.

The main character Frank is very complex, and a survivor of a bleak and abusive childhood. The plot was an eye opener for someone like me that has never been exposed to this type of abuse or life style. I was particularly sensitive to sections of the story that made my emotions run wild, just like an out of control roller coaster. I was overcome by anger, compassion, frustration and pain through out most of the story.

Charles James creates and excellent plot and causes the reader to really care for the character. Frank's past is edgy and potentially disturbing. He seems profoundly unhappy for reasons that are made quite clear by the author. It held my interest and it was very thought maddening. The moment you thought he would snap out of his downhill plunge, he would fall right back into a dark life filled with crime and self-destruction.

It was difficult to imagine the pain Frank suffered and the horrid abuse he took in his own father's hands. Some of the scenes were a bit too intense for me. The author developed Frank's character quite well. He is not entirely likable through out most of the story, because he chooses to lead a calloused life, but at the end he does overcome his fears and the horrible hand he was dealt.

This book is an excellent read, and definitely well written. I went through it in one afternoon. I will definitely recommend this book to my friends and family.